Wednesday 23 January 2008

Virtual Combat Journal: Major


I was promoted to Major yesterday in Call of Duty 4, after some brutal online firefights. In one particular game I remember my AK-47 running out of bullets. There were no weapons lying around from downed warriors so I had to go at it with my silenced pistol. I managed to down two of the opposition, at a longer range than the USP was comfortable with, before succumbing to my wounds. What a game. I remember it was the map called Pipeline (it's a sniper's paradise).

Only a few days ago I found out that my AK attached with an ACOG (Advanced Combat Optical Guide) could double up as a sniper's rifle. What it lacked in accuracy it made up for in comparatively low recoil and a high rate of fire. Picking the right hide for this kind of technique is tricky.

On a few occasions, I had a nail biting time waiting for my teammates to call in a UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) while I was prone on the ground, exposed to enemy fire, poring over the map hoping for the UAV to reveal the enemy so I could call in an air-strike. I was rewarded when the planes screeched by raining death to the opposition and experience points for me!

Upon my promotion, the sniper rifle R700 was unlocked to me. I've never heard of this particular rifle. The COD4 charts say it's a really accurate piece but with a slow rate of fire- bolt action, of course. Time to do some research.

No comments: