Tuesday 13 October 2009

Videographers' playground

Thanks to Panasonic, I was able to point the camera at various well lit subjects, make various adjustments to exposure, shoot and actually review my shots.


I was privileged to be invited by the distributor of Edius video editing software, Graphics Vision to participate in their joint exhibition with Panasonic titled 'Panasonic Power of Innovation Exhibition '09'

Our official status as certified Edius trainers gave me the opportunity to contribute some of my knowledge to the public. Since the exhibition was held in one of our largest malls, Mid Valley, the public would be out in force and so would we.

Chilling out with Graphics Vision's MD, Benedict Yee

Ironically, Edius' booth was located right next to Final Cut Pro. I took the opportunity to explore FCP a bit. So although I was meant to help man the Edius area, I was spending time chatting up the FCP people instead. It's always a good move to know the competition.

Panasonic's mock sets provide a good videographer's playground.

I was most impressed with Panasonic's concept. They had painstakingly set up a mock TV studio next to a mock lounge complete with a bar and snooker table. Surrounding these in a semi-circle were tripod mounted video cameras, giving visitors a chance to actually test out the equipment. Next to each video cam were a large LCD display or a broadcast monitor so the use could see what was shot.

Panasonic was kind enough to give us freedom with their video cameras

It was truly remarkable- their P2 and AVCHD video cams were pointed at actual sets so we would not want for a better shooting environment. I occupied myself with their AG-HPX300, a shoulder mounted P2 camera with a long lens and hence a very shallow depth of field.

It was truly amazing. Although I still prefer the ergonomics of Canon's video cams, I was able to point the camera at various well lit subjects, make various adjustments to exposure, shoot and actually review my shots. It was like having a slice of videographer heaven. When I left the exhibition, I was able to discover and recall each of the buttons that contribute to a good video shot. Giving visitors such degree of freedom and flexibility is a great way to boost video camera sales.

Back to the Edius VS FCP debate, now I can clearly understand that Edius holds the advantage over FCP in terms of workflow speed and execution, realtime functionality and multi format support. One of their guys remarked that telling the story is most important, having realtime effects won't help you tell a good story. Clearly he's just consoling himself over the edge Edius has over FCP. Having realtime support simply means Edius can craft out a great story from a great script AND do it faster too!

I had fun at the exhibition. I got to show off Edius and mess around with Panasonic's best of show. My thanks to Panasonic for organising this excellent event and to Graphics Vision for getting our participation.

No comments: