Friday 18 July 2008

Reading Displeasure

I was at MPH in Subang Parade last week. I understand that MPH are a well maintained chain of bookstores. Their staff are helpful and the place is comfortable, especially for MPH card holders- we get a whole area reserved for relaxed reading.

I'm a fan of fiction and fantasy. When it comes to the latest R.A Salvatore fare, my favourite dark elf, Drizzt Do'urden, I'll always find them in the proper section- fantasy. Having a multi-disciplinary role, I tend to visit various sections to brush up on technology,techniques and my skills. Therefore it's very distressing to find a book like 'The Fundamentals of Electronics' in the Graphic Design section.

When I need to look for books on say, Motion Graphics or Video Editing techniques, I'll have to approach the Programming or Computer shelves. Think again: Today I found Motion Graphics + Film in the Graphics Design shelf. A book on Lighting? The Photography section. Videography? You must have guessed by now that it's in Photography.

Why do they make it so hard on us creative types? A more considerate bookstore, Times, takes the extra mile to offer convenience to their customers. On one of my recent visits, I helped myself to their online inventory which offered a map to the exact aisle where the book was located. Now, that's service!

Given an increasingly info cluttered world, we rely on the dissemination of information in the form books written by experienced and credible authors, but all that corroboration would go to waste if our bookstores aren't willing to expand the energy to properly categorise these books.

No comments: