Sunday 10 February 2008

Movie Review: The Last King of Scotland


My Rating: 7/10

Journalist: I heard you're calling yourself 'The Last King of Scotland'
President Amin: Yes, they heard what I did to the British here and they want me to go over there and help them!

Idi Amin... I mean, Forrest Whitaker deserved every praise awarded him for portraying Uganda's Idi Amin so convincingly. He worked hard at it too- I heard Forrest stayed in character even between takes. His giant frame and pompous gait followed by his baritone, powerful voice and sinister, steely eyes just took my breath away.

It's a shame we couldn't see more of his performances. Instead, we watch the story unfold through Nicholas Gerrigan, a free-spirited, naive and impulsive doctor appointed by the president to be his personal physician.

The jovial and amicable president is at once full of charm and charisma. After a foiled assassination attempt, we are treated to a glimpse of the dictator's wrath. Ultimately his lapse into paranoia and evil is a joy to watch.

Dr. Gerrigan's lack of foresight and his careless attitude towards repercussions are the cause to at least two ruined lives. I found myself cheering when he finally had to face the music. Between the two, I was rooting for the antagonist.

The reddish, brown and orange hues of Africa is prevalent in this film. Sweat and dust, the cinematographer never cease to remind you of it. The camera is mostly dynamic, darting here and there, sometimes very subtly, to highlight a hand gesture or a facial expression. Camera angles are at once wide, cutting to medium and finally close-up, only to repeat the cycle again. The director tries to put us into the action and yet wanting us to become spectators as well.

I found myself drawn into Gen. Idi Amin's first public appearance. It was lightning. I felt the cameras framed him just right at the last possible moment as he gestured into the crowd, hands uplifted into the heavens.

Beautiful directing, the hues and lighting sets the right mood and ambiance, brilliant performance by Forrest are the film's saving graces. I fear the story was a let down. This wasn't about Idi amin, Uganda's notorious dictator who murdered 300,000 of his people. This was a story about Dr. Gerrigan and his good friend President Idi Amin!

No comments: